BioCorneum® Scar Treatment
At Robert Schwartz Plastic Surgery, we offer BioCorneum® with SPF30 (or BC+) as our preferred treatment to reduce the appearance of scars after surgery.
BioCorneum by Sientra is the only advanced scar treatment with FDA-approved Silishield Technology, a patented cross-linking silicone with SPF 30. In clinical studies BioCorneum flattened, softened, and smoothed scars, reduced discoloration, as well as relieved associated itch, pain and discomfort of scars. It is a self-adhering, self-drying silicone gel that also contains a mild broad spectrum SPF 30.
- You can begin to use BioCorneum after your surgery, once your sutures have been removed.
- BioCorneum can be worn under cosmetics and compression garments.
Instructions for Use:
- Ensure that the affected area is clean and dry.
- Apply a thin, even layer and massage the product into the scar 2x/day (AM/PM) for 12 weeks or until you stop seeing noticeable results.
- A small pea-size amount is enough cover a 3inch linear scar.
- BC should dry quickly (within 3-5min) and form a slick surface over the scar. If it takes more than 5 minutes to dry, you are overusing the product.
- Wait 15 minutes before sun exposure.
For those with a History of Keloids:
- BC has been shown to help prevent the formation of hypertrophic scars.
- Use as directed for 6-12 months.